Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Today morning I was having dysania

My vocab has been on a deteriorating run ever since I reached the USA. I figured that abbreviations and chat lingo pretty much conveyed what I wanted to say. My conversations and writings would be amply scattered with words like 'urw', 'btw', 'gtg' ,'ttyl' ,'nm' or replaced sometimes by 'nvm' , 'np' ,'tc' .
For those who think I am rambling on... please start chatting immediately and you will be using these within no time.

This serious impairment to my vocabulary( rest assured people... I am referring to a dictionary while writing this) took its toll on me, when I found it difficult to write a simple office mail, without resorting to these abbreviations. My conversations were sprinkled with "seriously..." or "are you kidding me ?" These were used quite frequently over the day , to express all the nine rasas/emotions.

I realized that something needs to be done about this disorder. I need to use words that are more than three letters and if they were more than three letters not to abbreviate them. Everyday on my ride up to the 22nd floor of my office building, I have a exercise. The building management, provides news bulletins in the elevator, somewhat like a flicker and if i am lucky they show me the word of the day, and a sentence to use that word in. My exercise is to use this word in my day.. sometimes it leads to funny consequences.. but I keep at it....

So my word of the day is " dysania ". It means "having a hard time waking up"'
If i was left to my devices I would use the word lazy... but the motive here is to use good vocabulary.

So here goes my first sentence . "Today morning I was having dysania".

almost sounds like a disease. I like lazy!!!

3 comments:

Rajesh said...

Not only that, one starts droppin the last alphabet from the words -'cause it sounds cool. ;)

comin, goin, droppin, lol, brb and what not !!

Its 'dysanic'(if thats a word)every morning out here though.

Anonymous said...

Kavs, I guess the disease is contagious. I have 'dysania' too: I'm unable to distinguish reality and imagination, and its 15:30 here...

Manikandan Sachidanandan said...

now I am getting contumacious...
;-)